In 1847, freed slave John Berry Meachum partnered with a white pastor to create The Freedom School on a Mississippi River riverboat near Saint Louis, Missouri. It’s mission was to set children free from the legal bonds that made educating slave children illegal. This school represented a beacon of light in direct opposition to the darkness of slaves being sold on the steps of the Old Courthouse. One hundred fifty years later, The Freedom School (University City, Missouri) was founded by New City Fellowship Church (Presbyterian Church in America) to free children from the bondage of lives unreconciled to God. The Freedom School belongs to a network of ministries collectively called Restore Saint Louis. Restore Saint Louis endeavors to manifest God’s love to the poor, widows, orphans, immigrants, and refugees of Saint Louis, Missouri through acts of justice and mercy. The Freedom School seeks to demonstrate these values in an educational context.